The other week in our Allen Hall meeting, we were lucky enough to host Bailey Koharick, the marketing manager for Palo Alto Software. As their social media manager, Bailey knows the ins and outs of the social media world and how to make a brand successful across all platforms. She gave us some insightful advice on social media marketing and PR and I’ve listed just some of her suggestions below. So check them out and use them in your next social media plan!
Be on your toes.
- Chose good times to post or tweet.
- Use cultural references.
- Be the three C’s (clear, concise and concrete).
Prove your worth.
- Measure. Your. Efforts.
- Use Twitter, Facebook and Twitter analytics and analytical tools.
Quality, not quantity.
- Don’t buy your followers.
- Interact with your followers and other brands.
- Make personal connections.
Keep learning and know the trends.
- Go to webinars, read newsletters and check out other brands.
- Be aware of brand highs and lows.
- Do some research.
Develop a personality and be human.
- Have a brainstorm session and create a persona for the brand.
- You’re not a robot, have a personable voice.
- Build relationships with followers.
- Be friendly.
Know the rules.
- Company values
- Be gracious.
- Give credit where credit is due.
- Use images.
This past week, the Allen Hall team and I got some great insight from PR guru and UO professor Kelli Matthews on client relations. She’s had over 10 years of experience in the PR world, meaning, she knows her stuff. Through Facebook and Twitter, Matthews asked the PR world, “What is your best do or worst don’t for building a strong relationship with a client?” She compiled their answers along with her know-how to give us five great do’s and don’ts. I also added one of my own for the fun of it! Here they are!
- Really listen to what your client needs.
- Understand their challenges.
- Actively listen-nod your head, repeat what they say, make eye contact.
2) Be Honest
- If you don’t know something, that’s okay!
- Admit when you’re unsure.
- Don’t lie.
3) Be Interested
- Make a point to have pre-business conversations.
- Be personal! Where are they from? How’s their spouse doing? Do they have kids?
- Little things like remembering their coffee order go a long way.
4) Be Proactive
- Look for ideas.
- Go out and find solutions.
5) Be Responsive
- Answer emails within 24 hours at the latest.
- Return phone calls even faster.
- Never ignore the client.
- Set up communication expectations from the beginning.
- “Under promise, over deliver.”
And my own recommendation, 6) Just Be Nice
- Smile! Nobody wants to look at a frowny face!
- Have a positive attitude.
- Don’t get sassy.
- Be grateful, they are giving you their precious time!
So that’s it, six awesome tips to really wow your client. I know I’ll be making sure I take these into consideration next time I’m with a client!
Considering two of my favorite things are the Oscars and infographics, I thought this one was awesome. I came across it on one of my favorite PR blogs, Ragan’s PR Daily. It definitely shares some fun and interesting facts I never even knew! Enjoy!
For me, nothing is harder than waking up early on a Monday morning after a long, relaxing weekend. Hopefully this song finds everyone in good spirits, have a good day!