This past week, the Allen Hall team and I got some great insight from PR guru and UO professor Kelli Matthews on client relations. She’s had over 10 years of experience in the PR world, meaning, she knows her stuff. Through Facebook and Twitter, Matthews asked the PR world, “What is your best do or worst don’t for building a strong relationship with a client?” She compiled their answers along with her know-how to give us five great do’s and don’ts. I also added one of my own for the fun of it! Here they are!
- Really listen to what your client needs.
- Understand their challenges.
- Actively listen-nod your head, repeat what they say, make eye contact.
2) Be Honest
- If you don’t know something, that’s okay!
- Admit when you’re unsure.
- Don’t lie.
3) Be Interested
- Make a point to have pre-business conversations.
- Be personal! Where are they from? How’s their spouse doing? Do they have kids?
- Little things like remembering their coffee order go a long way.
4) Be Proactive
- Look for ideas.
- Go out and find solutions.
5) Be Responsive
- Answer emails within 24 hours at the latest.
- Return phone calls even faster.
- Never ignore the client.
- Set up communication expectations from the beginning.
- “Under promise, over deliver.”
And my own recommendation, 6) Just Be Nice
- Smile! Nobody wants to look at a frowny face!
- Have a positive attitude.
- Don’t get sassy.
- Be grateful, they are giving you their precious time!
So that’s it, six awesome tips to really wow your client. I know I’ll be making sure I take these into consideration next time I’m with a client!